Spikenard, a flowering plant of the Valerian family, is native to high altitudes in the sub-alpine and alpine regions of the Himalayan mountains. Spikenard essential oil is steam distilled from the roots of the plant and has been valued for centuries, traditionally used to anoint people of high honour and in the Ayurvedic practices of India. Historically, Spikenard was used for its uplifting and relaxing qualities. Spikenard promotes clean, healthy looking skin. Today, the oil is commonly used in perfumes and relaxing massage oils for its woody, musty scent. By sourcing Spikenard oil from Nepal, doTERRA is able to help support much needed income streams for harvesters and partner distillers, particularly in the remote areas where it is harvested, as well as support rural community development projects through our Co-Impact Sourcing initiatives.
- Diffuse to promote feelings of calmness and relaxation.
- Create a personalised fragrance by combining Spikenard with Clove, Cypress, Frankincense, Geranium, Juniper Berry, Lavender, Myrrh, Wild Orange, Rose, and Vetiver in a carrier oil.
- Combine with a hydrating cream for softer and smoother feeling skin.
- Add one to two drops to your favourite cleanser to help promote healthy looking, glowing skin.
Directions for Use
Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with a carrier oil to minimise any skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
- Promotes feelings of calmness and relaxation.
- Frequently used in aromatherapy and meditation for its grounding properties.
Woody, spicy, musty
Keep out of reach of children. Possible skin sensitivity. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctors care, consult your physician.